My Sweet Baby P

bath time with baby, April 20, 2012 saturday mornings with mommy, April 21, 2012

Friday, March 9, 2012

It seems as if my neuroticism has reached an all time high....

I realize that it is completely irrational to want to keep my child in a bubble....OR safely stowed away in the confines of my own Cloroxed, Lysoled, hand-sanitized, new towel after every bath, throw it away if it touches the floor lovely home. I realize that it's not exactly normal to have heart palpitations when the nice little old lady on Aisle 3 at Wal Mart wants to take a peek at my child; I mean, who REALLY knows where her hands have been?? And I am completely aware that I turn into "THAT bizzaro mommy" at the doctor's office who completely covers the car seat/carrier with a large, thick blanket, making a tent of sorts with Patton snuggly enclosed, sweating and probably on the verge of suffocation (but, hey, at least he's not inhaling as many germs, right?), seated in the furthest seat in the corner on the "well" side, silently praying for this to be over soon because I can feel the germs getting on me and my baby.
I understand that to be so paranoid about Patton potentially catching some horrific illness is probably not exactly normal, but I find myself giving starngers in the grocery store the "stink eye" when they start towards my buggy!! On one particular occasion, I believe I even told a woman who desired to look at him and even outstretched a hand to touch him, that it was against my religion to show my baby off before the age of 5, as I quickly swung my cart around and hoofed it to the safety of the produce section. But dont judge!! I felt justified in my actions this day because I happened to notice she had a nagging cough as she studied a box of Kraft macaroni.
Clearly, I have some issues to work on, but yesterday, I felt I truly made a breakthrough!! My mom and Bill watch Patton for me during the day while I am at work (praise God for delaying germ-a-riffic daycare for now). From time to time, they venture out with my precious angel to grab a bite to eat for lunch. Yesterday, my parents went to lunch at the Farmer's Market, and Patton tagged along. In case you're wondering, yes this does make me a bit uneasy because I'm not there to monitor the germiness, but I have complete and total trust in my parents' caretaking abilities :) Suddenly I received a text message from Bill that read, " Your mother has let 3 ladies at the Farmer's Market hold Patton already." To which I replied, "Bill!!! That's not funny!! Mom better disinfect my child when she gets home....a bath for real....that'll at least wash some of the germs off...and don't let him put his hands in his mouth til you wash them!"
Now, I'm sure to some people I sound like a total nut job, psycho, crazy lady who is completely off the charts. BUT at least I made no mention of Lysol, Clorox, or immediate removal of clothes for washing :) I'd say I'm making progress. BABY STEPS, BABY STEPS....

2 comments:

  1. It gets better... I even let Perry eat off the floor if we use the 10 second rule!! hehe!

    This only means your a good momma... keep it up! And when your ready for him to get "ruffed up" or eat off the floor send him my way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I have already told you that is completely normal for your first one! :) Just wait when the second comes along you will be too tired to even think about it!

    You are an excellent mother so don't be too hard on yourself! Just think of all the sick days you are saving up :)

    ReplyDelete